Many adults choose to avoid metal braces like the plague. While standard braces are considered socially acceptable for children and teenagers, they tend to be less common for adults. Although braces are a great solution for alignment and bite issues, adults often note that they negatively impact their self-esteem. This is precisely why clear aligners like Invisalign were created.
With Invisalign, you don’t need to worry about what people think anymore. Invisalign is virtually invisible to the untrained eye, allowing people of all ages to fix their teeth without losing their confidence.
This article will discuss how Invisalign works, the pros and cons, and what to expect from your Invisalign journey.
How Does Invisalign Work?
You may be asking, how does Invisalign work exactly? Your Invisalign journey starts with an examination by your orthodontist. They will examine your teeth and jaw, taking note of any bite or alignment concerns. They will also ask you questions about teeth grinding and if you experience any pain or difficulties sleeping.
From there, your orthodontist will decide if Invisalign would help your current condition. If so, they will begin the process of creating a custom-made aligner just for you. This process begins by scanning your teeth and creating 3D digital images. Then, these images will create a precise map that your Invisalign aligner will follow.
After 3D digital images are rendered, the plastic aligner will be heated, pressured, trimmed, and then polished based on your particular teeth. Once this process is complete, you are ready to start your Invisalign journey!
Similar to braces, Invisalign works by gradually shifting your teeth over time. Slowly, the jaw and teeth will change, likely reducing pain and future alignment issues. It is similar to a retainer, allowing you to take it off anytime. However, users are generally asked to wear them 20 to 22 hours daily to achieve ideal results. Be sure to remove the aligner while brushing your teeth, flossing, or eating.
Pros and Cons of Invisalign
Are you eager to explore the question, “How can I find Invisalign near me?” Before jumping in, it’s important to understand the pros and cons of Invisalign. While most people rave that invisible aligners are the best way to go, be sure to educate yourself first.
Pros of Invisalign
There are many reasons people choose Invisalign over braces. As previously mentioned, this type of aligner is particularly popular with adults. Here are some of the reasons you should choose Invisalign today.
- They’re removable. Unlike bulky braces that clog your mouth with metal 24/7, these aligners are easily removable. This makes it easier to eat, brush your teeth, and floss without metal wires disrupting the process. With braces, it can be extremely difficult to maintain optimal oral hygiene. With Invisalign, you don’t need to worry about that. Lastly, removing it is quick and painless!
- They require very little maintenance. It can be cleaned easily daily with a toothbrush and water. This allows the plastic to remain clean and usable for a long time. Just scrub for one minute, and you’ll see great results!
- They are virtually invisible. One reason why Invisalign is so popular is because most people are not able to notice them in your mouth. Traditional braces are obvious and can cause people to feel self-conscious. These aligners offer the best of both worlds – they’re more attractive while helping to fix your teeth and jaw.
- They are quite comfortable. In most cases, wearers are encouraged to wear them virtually all day. Luckily, these aligners are comfortable and easy to put in. Unlike traditional braces that may cause painful pokes in your mouth, this type of aligner is made of plastic and won’t harm you.
Cons of Invisalign
Much like anything in life, nothing is perfect. While Invisalign has been extremely successful for millions of people across the globe, it does have a few drawbacks. Here are some cons to consider beforehand.
- They can be too expensive for some people. Unfortunately, Invisalign is not covered by most dental insurance. This means that you will be fully responsible for the cost. It can cost anywhere between $3,000 and $8,000.
- They might cause some inconvenience. While some people prefer the ability to remove aligners when they want to, others find this annoying. Having to take them off for daily tasks can also cause them to forget to put them back on.
- They can sometimes cause tooth discomfort. While these are designed not to cut you like traditional braces, they can cause tooth discomfort at the beginning. The nature of the product is to align and adjust your teeth, which can cause some pain, discomfort, or pressure initially. This may require an over-the-counter pain reliever to mitigate the pain early in the process.
- You are encouraged to wear them all day. For Invisalign to be effective, it requires consistent use. Failing to do so may cause your teeth to revert back to their old placement. This can be difficult for some, especially those who may forget to put them back in sometimes. This is a common complaint from those who insist that it doesn’t work for them.
- Invisalign may require some additional attachments. As the product continues to grow, additional attachments have become the norm. These attachments are designed to help Invisalign fit and work better. Unfortunately, they make the aligners look a bit similar to traditional braces, making them more noticeable.
Looking for Invisalign Braces? Contact Ashby Orthodontics Today
Are you looking for an experienced, trusted orthodontist? One that is a valued part of the Virginia Beach, Norfolk, and Chesapeake, Virginia communities? Look no further than Ashby Orthodontics!
At Ashby Orthodontics, your oral health is our top priority. Whether you need traditional braces, Invisalign, or any other orthodontics, our team is here to serve. Don’t wait for your teeth or jaw to get worse. Contact Ashby Orthodontics today!